Sugar Mill
St. Augustine, Florida
 12/10&11/2010
Sugar Mill

History:

The property was part of the Spanish Florida Land Grants and in 1821 was acquired by Eliza Robinson, wife of Silvester Robinson and mother of Edward S. Robinson. E.S. Robinson was one of the first victims of the Yellow Fever outbreak of 1821, died at age 21 on 10/21/1821 and was one of the first burials in the Public Burying Grounds which is now the French Huguenot Cemetery. It is thought that this transaction was posthumous, since it was recorded in December of 1821.

The British encroachment of both 1702 and 1740 would have brought terrible suffering to the native Timucuans living on or near the Spanish missionary villages. As the Spaniards receded into the Fort for the 50 day siege in 1702, the British, who attacked from the North, would have devastated the relatively defenseless Timucua. Constant forays into Florida by English slave-traders (who were often joined by the Yemassee and other native tribes allied with the British) also brought death, disease, and blood-shed to many North Florida natives throughout the 1600 and 1700’s.
The area later became part of the Fairbanks Plantation in the mid 1800’s. George Rainsford Fairbanks came to St. Augustine in the 1840’s and later began the University of the South in Tennessee. He was also the creator and head of the Florida Historical Society for many years and lived into the early 1900’s.
The Fairbanks Plantation had its own cemetery. A nearby home-owner nearly 30 years ago was surprised to find a tombstone on her property. The remains in the cemetery are believed to have been exhumed and re-interred at either the Huguenot Cemetery or the Evergreen Cemetery in West Augustine (established in the 1880’s) or BOTH. That portion of the old Fairbanks Plantation, however, is likely under the hotel across the street from the Sugar Mill, or farther North along San Marco Ave.

It is thought that at least 12 slave burials were part of that plantation cemetery, but if so, they would have been in an isolated corner, or adjacent to the slave quarters. If indeed, the slave quarters were on the South end of the plantation, then it’s very possible the property has burials. Ownership of slaves was quite prevalent throughout the St. Augustine area from the 1820’s through the Reconstruction.
Just south of the Sugar Mill property was a property on which the owner had a business involving pecans and pecan trees. It’s very likely the plantation had the same.

The property presently is a trolley stop office that still has the buildings from the original Florida history museum. These buildings are a reconstructed Spanish colonial house, slave cottage, Timucuan hut, school room and various empty buildings. The Florida history museum was a interactive museum for children to learn and participate in daily living activities from pre-European times to 1900's
Duration -12/10/10- 9:00pm-12:00am
                   12/11/10- 7:30pm-2:00am
Present - Scott, Sprout, Lori, Toni, Craig, Shelby, Amy and Sandy
Meter Readings
Temp - Fri.- 45 to 50 degrees with rain/fog
              Sat.- 51-54 degrees

EMF - .02mg -2.0mg
Tools -4 IR cameras
3 Hi-8 video cameras
digital cameras
thermal camera
pyrometer
gauss meter
tri-field meter
K-2 meters
parabolic mic
dowsing rods
audio recorders
DVR system was not used on 12/10 due to rain
Sugar Mill

History of Haunting:

* There isn't a whole lot of haunted history on this location and it's probably due to the fact that the business normally closes at about 5pm. During the day it's busy with tourist and in the past with children activities. The daytime may have been too chaotic for anyone to notice any paranormal activity.
* A tour group was brought in and they found unnatural readings on their K2 meters in the Timucuan hut and in front of the slave cottage.
* An automatic writer came and claimed there to be a wide variety of Spirits at the location, including children, several different men and a slave man.
Personal Experiences:
* 9:20pm Sprout saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye to the left of the storage room.
*
10:50pm Scott smelled burnt marshmallows in front of the Spanish Colonial house.
*
11:30pm Toni heard footsteps outside of the slave cottage.
*
11:58pm Craig saw on the camera a dark shadow walk in then out of the Timucuan hut but it was not captured on the recording.
Note: 5 minutes before a strange light anomaly was captured on our camera.
Sugar Mill Wheel
Evidence:
No Personal or conclusive evidence was captured on Friday's investigation 12/10/2010
* 9:25pm This audio of the footsteps was taken in the previous school room building. Another camera outside also proved that no one was near the building when the footsteps were captured. They are a bit hard to hear.
Click on location photo to hear.

  
Sugar Mill School
* 11:30pm We captured what we believe a EVP in the school room building. It is a whisper over our voices and it's saying,
“Look in here".
Click on location photo to hear.

  
Sugar Mill
* 11:53pm We captured a strange light rod that travels down from the ceiling and out the door. It then returns from the door and goes back out. This is inside a hut with a building next to it with no way a light reflection could penetrate inside. This is the only time this light anomaly occurred during the investigation
Click on location photo to see video.

  
Sugar Mill Hut
* 12:25am We captured a series of consecutive photos that seem to see a mist moving or possible a apparition trying to form.
Click on thumbnail photo to see